WHY TITLE INSURANCE IS IMPORTANT FOR A BUYER
With home ownership Is the need to protect the property against both the past and future issues pertaining to clear title. Each successive owner brings the possibility of title challenges to the property. Title insurance protects a policy holder against challenges to rightful ownership of real property, and challenges that arise from circumstances of past ownership.
SOME REASONS YOU NEED TITLE INSURANCE
1. A fire destroys only the house and improvements. The ground is left. A defective title may take away not only the house, but also the land on which it stands. Title insurance protects you (as per the policy) against such loss.
2. A deed or mortgage in the chain of title could be a forgery.
3. A deed or mortgage may have been signed by an under age person.
4. A deed or mortgage may have been made by an incapacitated or incompetent person.
5. A deed or mortgage may have been made under a power of attorney after its termination, and could therefore be void.
6. A deed or mortgage may have been made by a person other than the owner, but with the same name.
7. The testator of a will might have had a child born after the execution of the will, that may entitle the child to claim his or her share of the property.
8. A deed or mortgage may have been procured by duress or fraud
9. Title transferred by an heir may be subject to a federal estate tax lien.
10. An heir or other person presumed dead may appear and recover the
property or an interest therein.
11. A levy or judgment upon which the title is dependent may be void or
voidable based upon some defect in the proceeding.
12. A deed or mortgage may be voidable because it was signed while the
grantor was in bankruptcy.
13. There may be a defect in the recording of a document upon which
your title is dependent.
14. Title insurance covers attorneys’ fees and court costs for defects.
15. Title insurance helps speed negotiations when you’re ready to sell
or obtain a loan.
16. By insuring the title, you can eliminate delays when passing your
title on to someone else.
17. Title insurance reimburses you for the amount of your actual
losses, covered under the policy.
18. Claims constantly arise due to marital status and validity of
divorces. Only title insurance can protect against such claims.